Frequent Asked Questions

Here are the answers to your most asked questions. If you don’t see an answer to your question, please call or email us and we will be happy to answer them!

What number(s) do I call if I did not receive my refunds?

To check on the status of your IRS refund, call 800-829-1954. For your State of CT refund call the Department of Revenue at 860-297-4845. You will need a copy of your IRS/CT form 1040 to give them certain pieces of information; they can tell you when your refund is expected to be issued and/or if there is a problem.

What number do I call to cancel my federal/state estimated tax payments that are set up for auto deduction?

Call IRS e-file Payment Services at 888-353-4537 to inquire about or cancel a payment.
Call State of CT DRS 860-297-4819 to inquire about or cancel a payment.

How long do I have to save my tax returns?

You should save your tax returns forever.

How long do I have to save the work papers related to old tax returns?

You can shred any work papers and tax documents used to prepare the returns after four years.

Can original documents be shredded if scanned?

Yes, for just about any type of tax document, tax return, and/or correspondence. If you are not sure about a particular item, please call us at 203-933-1679.

How long is an extension good for?

Six months for an individual tax return. Individual extensions are to be filed by April 15 and they expire on October 15. If you are a current client of ours and we have not spoken by April 15, we will automatically put you on extension as a courtesy.

Do you have a list of items or a worksheet that I can use to gather the data I will need to prepare my tax return?

Yes, we have various worksheets that will help you prepare for your tax return. Please call our office at 203-933-1679 and we can email them to you.

How does your firm handle issues of identity theft at the federal and state levels? Do you have contact numbers if my identity has been compromised?

When we e-file your tax return, we are notified immediately if there might be a identity theft problem. We will contact you right away. You can find out more about identity theft on the IRS website at or the government’s website at You can also always contact our office with any questions or concerns at 203-933-1679.

How do I set up a payment plan with DRS/IRS if I owe money?

You can call the IRS yourself at 800-829-1040 and enter into an installment agreement. It is simple to do. If you would rather not, please call our office at 203-933-1679 or and we can help.

Tax Considerations When Adding a New PartnerMedium-Sized BusinessTax Planning
May 20, 2024

Tax Considerations When Adding a New Partner

There are tax considerations when adding a new partner to a partnership.…
Postpone deductions and accelerate incomeMedium-Sized BusinessTax Planning
May 7, 2024

Postpone Deductions and Accelerate Income?

Businesses usually want to delay recognition of taxable income into future years…
Coordinate Section 179 and Bonus DepreciationMedium-Sized BusinessSec. 179 deduction
April 17, 2024

Coordinate Section 179 and Bonus Depreciation

Your business should generally maximize current year depreciation write-offs for newly acquired…